Are you also one of those people who struggle with sleep on their bed? The people who find it difficult to fall asleep even if they are tired to hell; if yes, you are suffering from insomnia, a condition where one finds it very difficult to fall asleep. If sleep problem persists just for a few days time, it is absolutely normal but, if it stays for long, it is an alarming sign and you must consider insomnia treatment.
When do you require insomnia treatment?
We face certain situations in life where we feel anxious and due to anxiety and worry, we find it difficult to fall asleep. This condition is quite common before exams, before an important presentation, et al. But, if the problem persists for a long duration of time, it is a sign that you are suffering from insomnia and you must take treatment.
Insomnia symptoms and causes
The symptoms of insomnia include:
- Difficulty in falling asleep
- Waking up very early in the morning
- Difficulty in resuming slumber after waking up in the night
- Completely relying on sleeping pills
- Irritability, drowsiness and fatigue
- Lack of concentration
The causes of insomnia include:
- Medical conditions like asthma, Parkinson’s disease, kidney disease, etc.
- Sleep disorders like sleep apnea, etc.
- Certain medications
Science has the treatment of insomnia but, you can also rely on insomnia treatment at home to cure this condition.
The common treatment includes:
- Non- medical insomnia treatment
- Relaxation training helps in soothing down the muscles and inducing sleep. Techniques like progressive muscle relaxation, breathing exercises, meditation, etc are very helpful.
- Stimulus control, i.e., going to bed only when you are actually sleepy and getting out of bed only after you are awake for 20 minutes.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is a potent insomnia treatment. It comprises of behavioral changes that give you a sound sleep.
- Medical insomnia treatment
Medications like benzodiazepine hypnotics, non- benzodiazepine hypnotics as well as melatonin receptor agonists are considered as best medications for insomnia treatment.